Living in an area with a hard water supply can prove to be an expensive and cumbersome issue. As the hard water flows through your plumbing system, the dissolved minerals react and may result in scale and buildup. Not only does it damage your pipes, but it may also affect your appliances and even your health.
A water softener is used to soften the water by removing the calcium and magnesium salts that cause water hardness.
When you decide to invest in a product, it becomes pertinent to know about its benefits and limitations. Through this blog, let’s try to understand the same.
How does a water softener work?
The functioning of water softeners is based on the process of ion exchange. When hard water flows through the machine, it encounters a bed of tiny, resin beads.
The positively charged ions in the hard water, such as calcium and magnesium, are attracted to the negatively charged resin beads. This causes them to cling to the surface of the beads. As more and more hard water passes through the bed, they become saturated with hard water minerals, causing them to lose their effectiveness.
To recharge the resin beads, the water softener uses a process called regeneration. During regeneration, a salty brine solution is flushed, and the sodium ions in the salt replace the calcium and magnesium ions. This helps in the effective cleaning and recharging of resin beads.
Once the resin beads are recharged, the water softener is ready to soften more water.
Benefits of a Water Softener:
Some of the key benefits of water softeners are explained below:
- Superior taste: Due to high mineral content, high water is preferred for drinking. However, soft water can make better drinks like tea or cocktails. Also, the water softener is capable of removing minerals like chloramine and fluorine. Thus, you can access high-grade filtered water right from your faucet.
- Protects your appliances: Hard water minerals can clog pipes due to the deposition of limescale. Using a water softener can prolong the lifespan of your dishwasher, water heater, coffee machine, and laundry machine. Moreover, it will improve the energy efficiency of the appliances. This will lead to low utility bills and save you a lot of dollars.
- Shining hair and soft skin: Hard water causes flaking and drying of the skin. Also, you may find your hair brittle and dry after washing it with hard water. Soft water is gentler both on your skin and hair. You can save on moisturizers and conditioners by installing a water softener. It will ensure you have plump skin and gleaming hair.
- Brighter clothes: Hard water can form scum with soaps and detergents. Thus, you need to do many rounds of laundry and waste a lot of detergents to wash the clothes. Soft water works effectively with soap bars. It preserves the integrity of the fabric. Thus, it can give your clothes a new and fresh feel without fading their color.
- Spotless dishes: Your glass and silverware need special care while cleaning. Washing them with hard water is not only tiring but can even affect the quality of your dishes. A water softener removes hard minerals at the source.
It fuses with detergents easily and lathers well. Washing your dishes with soft water will prevent stains and keep them spotless.
Water softeners may seem like an unnecessary expense, but they can save money in the long run. Installing a water softener helps reduce the need for repairs and replacements. Also, it lowers soap and energy usage. Not only will you save money, but you’ll also have a more luxurious and enjoyable shower experience.
Kinetico SWFL offers a range of water softeners in Bonita Springs, FL. We are the local authorized dealers of Kinetico products. Our reliable installation and outstanding customer service will ensure your peace of mind.
Whether you’re looking for a residential or commercial water softener in Bonita Springs, we’ve got you covered. Our team will ensure a sustainable and cost-effective water solution suitable to your needs. Get in touch today!